Friday, March 16, 2007

New comments

I want to thank all of you for taking the challenge, and coming up with this idea to create awareness on a subject that most people have no clue about.Those of us who know what it is like to be in such a valurnable situation, are grateful. I am very touched that you all have decided to do this. I am glad to be a part of your campaign to raise awareness of the conditions in which people live when in receipt of social assistance, by posting my e-mail. I have also told a few mothers like myself, about what you are doing. Although not all of them are not as outspoken as I, they are very appreciative of your sacrfice in order to raise awareness on a subject that has been over looked for far to long.

Can you believe this is the way in which people and their children in Canada live? Do you know what kind of horrible conditions people live in as far as affordable housing? Do you know single mothers are at risk for having their children taken away because of the horrible housing conditions people live in when trying to survive on Ontario Works? Do you know that single mothers on social assistance are often targeted by Family and Children's Services because low income single mothers are considered to be high risk? I know mothers who stay with abusive husbands and boyfriends because there is no way to survive on Welfare. The low payments made to people while on social assistance keep people from leaving abusive situations!

Shouldn't the Canadian Government take some kind of accountability for the conditions in which children and their parents when relying on Ontario Works as their source of income? Somebody should take accountability!

I am sorry but this subject is near and dear to my heart because of all I went through while on social assistance.

May I make a suggestion? Something I would like you to also consider, the humiliation of going to an appointment at the Region of Waterloo to apply for social assistance, after the initial phone application. Yet another humiliating situation to endure is going for an annual review to continue you eligibly of Ontario Works. Both appointments are very intense and intrusive, as well as very emotionally damaging. You have to sign papers allowing Social services to communicate with Revenue Canada in regards to your tax assessments. You have to show all your bank statements, rent receipts, all your bills, and any outstanding debts. I was called in for an annual review after I was working as a temp at a temp agency. Temporary agencies require you to show up for work each and every day or you will be replaced. I was told I had to come in for an annual review, I explained that if I missed work to come in for this appointment that I would loose my placement. I was only making $7.45 per hr so I was still eligible for a very small amount from Ontario Works; I believe it was $2.00 a month as well as a drug benefit card. I was told if I didn't come in I would no longer be eligible for Ontario Works. In the end I choose to go to work and keep what little dignity I still had left. It was tough making ends meet on $7.45 per hr working as a temp, but I just couldn't allow myself to be humiliated any longer.

There was a mother who killed herself and her unborn baby because of a ban from ever collecting welfare again due to fraud. Here is the link. Her name was Kimberly Rogers and may she rest in peace. http://dawn.thot.net/Kimberly_Rogers/kria127.html

I hope that none of you has to rely on Ontario Works as your source of income. It is a very tough thing to go through. You loose your self confidence, your pride, and your health both mentally and physically deteriorates. That is something I would not wish upon anybody. I have not been in receipt of social assistance since December of 2004. I hope I never have to endure that again in my life time.

You are trying to make a difference and that is remarkable. Please keep up your efforts! You have my support.

1 comment:

My Boyfriend Annoys Me said...

My mom has her interview tomorrow to be placed on Ontario Works. I was a full time high school student in February 09. I am 19 which qualifies me as an adult living in her house. I was home from school one day for a doctors appointment and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, my mom started vomiting for hours upon hours, and quite violently. After calling 911, she was taken to the hospital and stayed there for 3 weeks. I stayed with her because she was out of town and I don't drive. I was also the one to make any decision if she was incapable of doing so, therefore I had to be there. But 3 weeks is too long to be out of school, so I switched to correspondence to finish my education and to stay home and take care of my mom, because we cant afford a nurse to come in and do that because she cant work. Now, not only am I an adult in her house, but I am no longer a full time student. So I am pretty much considered a nuisance. My mom has a very serious disease, and unless there is a miracle and she doesn't need the brain surgery the doctors say she'll need in September, my mom will be out of work until the end of this year. However, Ontario Works doesn't care about our circumstances. For all they know she is a dead beat mom and I am a high school dropout. It doesn't matter that I busted my ass every day in my university bound classes and that she worked very hard going back to school 6 years ago and works with seniors in a respectable nursing home(who all miss her dearly). My mom has money in funds that are locked in and not accessible to her until 2010. But Ontario works says we have to live off of that first. Not to mention my savings, the money I was going to use towards university. Oh! And here's the best part.... I can only make a certain amount of money each paycheck! So if I make $600.00 every two weeks at my full time AND part time jobs, then I can only use and save $500 of that.... yippy. I pay taxes, my mom pays taxes, and it sucks that the money she was saving to fix our leaking roof now gets to go to the government. Who cares if we have to live with black mold for a few years eh? Just as long as Harper gets his new car!