Sunday, March 11, 2007

OW Campaign Supporter

I gradutaed college in May of 2002 two months before I gave birth to my son. I was on Ontario works after my OSAP ran out. I had a small for date baby boy. I lived on around $580 a month paying $500 for rent each month. I beleive my son was small because I was living on such a little amount of money while pregnant. I had my son in July 2002. I started to get a bit more money from welfare but it was still tough. I remember calling my worker at welfare, I told her that it was really hard to live on that money, I was crying. I asked her if there was anything she could do to help me. She replied that if I didn't calm down she was going to call Familly and Childrens services on me. I couldn't beleive she said that.
Once I started to receive child support from my sons father welfare started to deduct the total amount received for child support from my monthly cheque. So I was no better off.
My point is good for you for trying to raise awareness about the conditions in which people on welfare live. Not only do people live on a small income but they often face bad treatment because of being on welfare. So I will not take the challenge because I have already been there but thank you for raising awareness.

Ow Campaign Supporter
(In response to the Campaign)

No comments: